Oct 15, 2021  
2009-2010 Graduate Catalog 
2009-2010 Graduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]



Monty Nielsen, University Registrar
118 Anderson Hall
Manhattan, KS 66506-0102

Enrollments for fall, spring, and summer semesters occur at specified times during the academic year. The specific times are outlined in the Course Schedule.

Assignment to Courses

Each student is responsible for fulfilling all requirements of the curriculum in which he or she is enrolled. The student should consult with his or her advisor and be familiar with the K-State Undergraduate Catalog and Graduate Catalog.

No student is officially enrolled in courses or for private lessons in music or other subjects until enrollment is completed.

Undergraduate Assignment to Courses

A student may not enroll for more than 21 K-State credit hours in a semester unless the student is granted permission to do so by the student’s academic dean’s office. If the published curriculum of a college or department in which the student is enrolled requires that more than 21 K-State credit hours be taken during a semester, this 21-credit limit does not apply.

A student will be considered full-time for fall and spring semesters if she or he is enrolled in 12 or more semester hours and for summer if enrolled in at least 6 semester hours.

A student with documented disabilities may petition the university for a waiver of the full time requirement to allow course loads that appropriately accommodate the disability. The petition must be made in a timely manner prior to the appropriate semester. A student must petition annually for continuation of the waiver.

Graduate Assignment to Courses

No more than 16 credit hours, including those obtained in research, may be assigned in a single semester, nor more than 9 credit hours during a summer semester. If a part of the assignment is for undergraduate credit, a student may be assigned to 17 hours during a semester or 10 hours during a summer semester. Full-time staff members of the university may not be assigned to more than 6 hours in one semester, nor more than 3 hours in a summer semester, and may enroll only with the permission of their supervisors. (See section on assistantships and fellowships for limitations applying to students holding assistantships.) These limitations apply to courses audited as well as courses for which credit is earned.

Course schedule changes processed after deadlines must be accompanied by the approval of the student’s advisor, the instructors, and the dean of the Graduate School.

All graduate students who have matriculated at Kansas State University and are using faculty time and/or university facilities for research or other academic pursuits must be enrolled. The enrollment should reflect, as accurately as possible, the demands made on faculty time and use made of university facilities. Further, a graduate degree candidate must be enrolled during the semester in which the requirements for a degree are completed.

A student working for the Ph.D. must enroll during the semester in which the preliminary examination is taken and subsequently in each semester (summer semesters excepted) until the degree requirements are satisfied and the dissertation is accepted by the Graduate School. Failure to enroll will result in loss of candidacy. To regain candidacy, the student will be re-examined over the areas covered in his or her preliminary examinations in a manner to be determined by the supervisory committee.

If it is necessary to interrupt progress toward the degree after the preliminary examination has been passed, then the student (or the major professor) may petition for leave of absence for up to one year which subsequently may be renewed. Renewals for those who are meeting a military service requirement will be automatic. The petition must be submitted at least one month before the effective date of leave. Approval must be granted by the major professor, chair of the department or graduate program, and the dean of the Graduate School.

Upon written notification, doctoral candidates, who have passed preliminary examinations and do not live in a 30-mile radius of Manhattan, may request the Graduate School to send enrollment information prior to an enrollment period. Candidates may then enroll themselves through the K-State Student Information System (iSIS). iSIS can also be accessed directly from the K-State home page.

Faculty and employees

Full-time faculty members and regular employees, with approval of their department heads or deans, may enroll in undergraduate or graduate work not to exceed 6 contact hours in fall and spring semesters or 6 contact hours in the summer semester.

Late enrollment

A $50 late enrollment fee is assessed for initial enrollment that occurs after the semester begins.

Attendance policy

An instructor may drop a student from any or all components (e.g., lecture, recitation, lab, etc.) of a course if the student is absent at the beginning of the first class period of any component of the course. Students who cannot be in attendance should arrange prior permission from the instructor in order not to be dropped. For purposes of this policy, enrollment in and payment of tuition for a course do not constitute notification of intent to take a course.



If a student wants to add or drop a course or if an instructor recommends a change, then the student should confer with an advisor.

No student may add a course after the first week of the semester without the permission of the instructor.

Course drops are calculated by calendar days and include Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays. The last day to drop a course with 98 or more calendar days (14 or more weeks in length) without a W being recorded is the end of the 36th calendar day of the semester. After the 68th day of the semester, courses may not be dropped. For courses with 69 or less calendar days, the drop dates are prorated.


Curriculum Change

Students desiring to transfer from one college to another within the university should confer with both college deans’ offices.


Undergraduate Retake Policy

Students may retake courses in order to improve their grades. If a course is retaken, the original grade is noted as retaken and removed from the grade point average.

Retakes can be accomplished only by re-enrolling in and completing a K-State resident course. Courses originally taken on a letter grade basis may be retaken on an A/Pass/F basis if appropriate, or if originally taken on an A/Pass/F basis may be retaken on a letter grade basis. The retake grade will always be used in the grade point average computation regardless of whether it is higher or lower than the original grade. The original course remains on the academic record.

Although there is no limit to the number of times a course may be retaken, a student may retake a course with subsequent removal of the prior grade from calculation of the grade point average only once for each course, and for a total of five courses during the student’s academic career at K-State. Any grades obtained from retaking courses beyond these limitations will be used in calculating the grade point average. A retaken course will count only once toward meeting degree requirements. Courses retaken before fall 1986 will not be used in determining whether five courses have been retaken.

Any course retaken after completion of a bachelor’s degree will not affect the credits or the GPA applied to that degree.


Graduate Retake Policy

If the student received less than 3.0 in a course, the student may retake the course with approval of the major professor and the supervisory committee. If the course is retaken by the direction of the major professor and the supervisory committee, the original grade is noted as retaken and removed from the grade point average. The retake grade will always be used in computing the grade point average regardless of whether it is higher or lower than the original grade. A student may retake a course with subsequent removal of the prior grade only once for each course and for a total of two courses in the program of study. An approved program of study must be on file in the Graduate School at the time the retake request is submitted. Retake requests must be made prior to enrolling in the course.


A/Pass/F Policy

Undergraduate students, except first-semester freshmen and students on academic warning, may enroll in certain courses for which they have the normal prerequisites under the A/Pass/F grading option. Under this option, students earning a grade of A in a course will have an A recorded on the academic record for that course; a grade of B, C, or D will be recorded as Pass; a grade of F will be recorded as F.

Students may request the A/Pass/F grading option for eligible courses through the fourth week of a 16-week semester or through the second week of a six-, seven-, or eight-week summer course. Students requesting the use of the A/Pass/F option must obtain the signature of their advisors. The decision by a student to use the A/Pass/F option is treated with strict confidentiality.

It is the responsibility of a student requesting enrollment under the A/Pass/F grading option to be certain that such an enrollment is valid in the declared degree program. A course originally completed under the A/Pass/F grading option may not be converted at any time to a graded basis.

Students should be aware that some schools, scholarship committees, and honorary societies do not find work taken on a non-graded basis (Pass) acceptable. Furthermore, many employers do not view non-graded (Pass) course work favorably. All students should be cautious in using the A/Pass/F grading option.

Each department or division may specify which courses its majors may take under the A/Pass/F grading option consistent with the university requirements listed below.

A student may enroll under the A/Pass/F option for any free elective course offered under this option, that is, in any course that is in no way specified even in general terms in his or her curriculum, secondary major, or minor. Courses that are specified by name or number and courses that meet general distribution requirements, courses required to meet UGE requirements, and courses to be applied in a secondary major or minor are not considered free electives.

Students may submit Pass units for graduation requirements up to and not exceeding one-sixth of the total number of hours required for a bachelor’s degree. That is, five-sixths of all hours submitted for the degree must be hours submitted on a graded or credit basis.


Credit/No Credit Courses

Certain courses for which the learning experience is based primarily on participation and/or attendance may be offered solely on a Credit/No Credit basis. No other grades are given for such courses and they are not figured into the grade point average.

For courses that are normally given for a grade, the designation Credit may be obtained in the case of credit by examination.


Course Attendance

Attendance policies will be determined by the instructor of each course. Instructors will determine if, and the manner in which, work and examinations missed may be made up.


Withdrawal from the University

A student who withdraws from the university must complete a notice of withdrawal form; contact the appropriate dean’s office.

If a student withdraws during the first 25 days of a 16-week semester (first 13 days of a six-, seven-, or eight-week summer session), no mark will be recorded on the student’s academic record. Thereafter, a mark of W is recorded; a course less than 16-weeks is prorated. The deadline for withdrawing is the end of the 10th week of the semester; for a course less than 16 weeks, the withdrawal date is prorated.

If a student finds it necessary to withdraw from the university for verifiable nonacademic reasons after the 10th week, he or she should consult the appropriate dean’s office.

When a student withdraws from the university, student privileges, such as use of the Recreation Complex, stop.


Auditing Courses

Auditing is attending a course regularly, without participating in course work or receiving credit, and is permitted on a space-available basis. Permission to audit a course is granted by the instructor, with the approval of the dean of the college in which the course is offered. Laboratory, continuing education, and activity courses may not be audited. No record is made on the academic record. Students 60 years or older may audit on a space-available, no-fee basis.


Prep Week

The week before the final examination period (known as prep week) is set aside as a period of curtailed social activity. Except for honors, problems, seminar, reports, research, laboratory practical, language, studio and fine arts performance classes, the last examination (either unit or comprehensive) must be given during the final examination period published on the web. No examination (unit or final) may be scheduled seven calendar days prior to the first scheduled day of semester examinations.


Final Examinations

A final examination period during which no regular courses meet is scheduled at the end of the fall and spring semester. Final examinations are given during this period. Final examinations for summer semester courses occur during the last week of each course at the course time and location.

Except for honors, problems, seminars, and language and fine arts performance courses, the last examination (last unit test or comprehensive test) in a course must be given during the examination period specified by the Committee on Academic Policy and Procedures and published in the Course Schedule. Courses may have take-home examinations, projects, papers (excluding semester papers), or other media, in lieu of written final examinations as the last evaluation instrument in the course. In such instances, a deadline for submittal of the medium may not be earlier than the time of the end of the course’s scheduled examination period as published in the Course Schedule.

Guidelines for interpreting the semester final examination schedule.