May 25, 2024  
2022-2023 Graduate Catalog 
2022-2023 Graduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Student Affairs in Higher Education (Ph.D.)

Offered through the Special Education, Counseling, and Student Affairs  graduate program, the Ph.D. in Counseling and Student Development with specialization in Student Affairs in Higher Education requires a minimum of 90 hours of post baccalaureate. 

Doctoral degree requirements

A designated core of 15 hours of graduate credit, typically a part of the  master’s degree in college student personnel work, is required. These courses may be part of a master’s degree or must be completed in addition to the doctoral course work. These courses include the following: 

2. Outside area/specialization (9 credit hours)

This specialization is developed in consultation with the major professor and must be approved by the student’s program of study committee.

3. Research courses (15 credit hours)

4. Dissertation research (18 credit hours)

Preliminary examination. Candidates must successfully complete completion of all segments of a monitored, written examination of at least 12 hours over all areas of the program of study.