May 29, 2024  
2014-2015 Undergraduate Catalog 
2014-2015 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

International Business Certificate

The certificate in international business is open to all students, and it appeals to students seeking adventure, growth, and international exposure that will enhance their personal and professional development. The certificate will be awarded to students who achieve a superior level of expertise in international aspects of business. This certificate will be noted on the student’s transcript.

Foreign language requirement:

  • Domestic student policy:
    • 6 credit hours of upper level courses (beyond Level 4) in the foreign language sequence.
  • International student policy:
    • The CIB requires proficiency in two languages. Therefore, students for whom English is not the primary language will complete a native language proficiency assessment through the Modern Lanuage Department to verify adequate proficiency in their native language. Students must pass the assessment to be able to use the indicated language as their native language for the CIB.
    • An additional 6 credit hours of 300 level or higher course work focusing on communication or English writing and literature, American culture, history, society, geography or politics are required. Courses must be completed from two differents. Three hours must be from the Deparment of Communication Studies or the English Department and 3 hours from one of the other departments on the list. A list of approved electives is available in the Office of Student Services in 107 Calvin.

Select 3 hours from the following list:

International Overlay Course

Select 3 hours from the CBA approved international overlay course list.  This course cannot double count with any of the other course requirements for the CIB.

International Experience Requirement:

  • Domestic student policy:
    • Participate in a study abroad/student exchange program OR an international internship (summer, semester or year) that carries a minimum of three (3) K-State credit hours.
  • International student policy:
    • Studying at K-State will meet the international experience requirement.


  • Students must earn a minimum of  a 2.50 grade point average on courses taken to fulfill the requirement of the CIB.
  • No more than 25% of total credit hours required for the certificate program may be transfer hours. Student must earn at least 75% of credits that apply to the certificate program from Kansas State University OR an approved university affiliate of Kansas State University in a foreign country.
  • Certificate must be earned concurrently with degree. It cannot be completed after baccalaureate degree has been granted.
  • The number of students admitted into the CIB will be based on resource availability.