Mar 29, 2023  
2017-2018 Undergraduate Catalog 
2017-2018 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]


Monty Nielsen, University Registrar
118 Anderson Hall
919 Mid-Campus Drive North
Manhattan, KS 66506-0102

Enrollments for fall, spring, and summer semesters occur at specified times during the academic year. The specific times are outlined in the Course Schedule.

Assignment to Courses

Each student is responsible for fulfilling all requirements of the curriculum in which he or she is enrolled. The student should consult with his or her advisor and be familiar with the K-State Undergraduate Catalog and Graduate Catalog.

No student is officially enrolled in courses or for private lessons in music or other subjects until enrollment is completed.

Undergraduate Assignment to Courses

A student may not enroll for more than 21 K-State credit hours in a semester unless the student is granted permission to do so by the student’s academic dean’s office. If the published curriculum of a college or department in which the student is enrolled requires that more than 21 K-State credit hours be taken during a semester, this 21-credit limit may be overridden.

A student will be considered full-time for fall and spring semesters if she or he is enrolled in 12 or more credit hours and for summer if enrolled in at least 9 credit hours.

A student with documented disabilities may petition for a waiver of the full time requirement to allow course loads that appropriately accommodate the disability. Students should contact Student Access Center, 202 Holton Hall. The petition must be made in a timely manner prior to the appropriate semester. A student must petition annually for continuation of the waiver.

Faculty and employees

Full-time faculty members and regular employees, with approval of their department heads or deans, may enroll in undergraduate or graduate work not to exceed 6 contact hours in fall and spring semesters or 6 contact hours in the summer semester.

Late enrollment

A $50 Special Handling Fee is assessed to students who enroll in classes on or after the first day of the semester.

Attendance policy

An instructor may drop a student from any or all components (e.g., lecture, recitation, lab, etc.) of a course if the student is absent at the beginning of the first class period of any component of the course. Students who cannot be in attendance should arrange prior permission from the instructor in order not to be dropped. For purposes of this policy, enrollment in and payment of tuition for a course do not constitute notification of intent to take a course.



If a student wants to add or drop a course or if an instructor recommends a change, then the student should confer with an advisor.

No student may add a course after the 7th calendar day of the semester without electronic permission of the instructor.

Course drops are calculated by calendar days and include Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays. The last day to drop a Regular Session course without a W being recorded is the end of the 36th calendar day of the semester. After the 68th day of the semester, courses may not be dropped. For Non-Standard courses the drop dates are prorated.


Curriculum Change

Students desiring to transfer from one college to another within the university should confer with both college deans’ offices.


Undergraduate Retake Policy

Students may retake courses in order to improve their grades. If a course is retaken, the original grade is noted as retaken and removed from the grade point average.

Retakes can be accomplished only by re-enrolling in and completing a K-State resident course. Courses originally taken on a letter grade basis may be retaken on an A/Pass/F basis if appropriate, or if originally taken on an A/Pass/F basis may be retaken on a letter grade basis. The retake grade will always be used in the grade point average computation regardless of whether it is higher or lower than the original grade. The original course and grade remains on the academic record and is not figured into the GPA.

Although there is no limit to the number of times a course may be retaken, a student may retake a course with subsequent removal of the prior grade from calculation of the grade point average only once for each course, and for a total of five courses during the student’s academic career at K-State. Any grades obtained from retaking courses beyond these limitations will be used in calculating the grade point average. A retaken course will count only once toward meeting degree requirements. Courses retaken before fall 1986 will not be used in determining whether five courses have been retaken.

Any course retaken after completion of a bachelor’s degree will not affect the credits or the GPA applied to that degree.


A/Pass/F Policy

Undergraduate students, except first-semester freshmen and students on academic warning, may enroll in certain courses for which they have the normal prerequisites under the A/Pass/F grading option. Under this option, students earning a grade of A in a course will have an A recorded on the academic record for that course; a grade of B, C, or D will be recorded as Pass; a grade of F will be recorded as F.

Students may request the A/Pass/F grading option for eligible courses through the fourth week of a Regular Session course. For Non-Standard courses, the dates are prorated.The decision by a student to use the A/Pass/F option is treated with strict confidentiality.

It is the responsibility of a student requesting enrollment under the A/Pass/F grading option to be certain that such an enrollment is valid in the declared degree program. A course originally completed under the A/Pass/F grading option may not be converted at any time to a graded basis.

Students should be aware that some schools, scholarship committees, and honorary societies do not find work taken on a non-graded basis (Pass) acceptable. Furthermore, many employers do not view non-graded (Pass) course work favorably. All students should be cautious in using the A/Pass/F grading option.

Each department or division may specify which courses its majors may take under the A/Pass/F grading option consistent with the university requirements listed below.

A student may enroll under the A/Pass/F option for any free elective course offered under this option, that is, in any course that is in no way specified even in general terms in his or her curriculum, secondary major, or minor. Courses that are specified by name or number and courses that meet general distribution requirements, courses required to meet UGE requirements, and courses to be applied in a secondary major or minor are not considered free electives.

Students may submit Pass credit hours for graduation requirements up to and not exceeding one-sixth of the total number of credit hours required for a bachelor’s degree. That is, five-sixths of all credit hours submitted for the degree must be credit hours submitted on a graded or credit basis.


Credit/No Credit Courses

Certain courses for which the learning experience is based primarily on participation and/or attendance may be offered solely on a Credit/No Credit basis. No other grades are given for such courses and they are not figured into the grade point average.

For courses that are normally given for a grade, the designation Credit may be obtained in the case of credit by examination.


Course Attendance

Attendance policies will be determined by the instructor of each course. Instructors will determine if, and the manner in which, work and examinations missed may be made up.


Withdrawal from the University

A student who withdraws from the university for the fall and spring semesters must complete a withdrawal form; contact the appropriate dean’s office. A summer semester withdrawal requires no approval from the dean’s office. Students should drop their courses in KSIS.

If a student withdraws during the first 36 calendar days of a  Regular Session course, no course enrollment will be recorded on the student’s academic record. Thereafter, a grade of W is recorded. Summer Sessions and Non-Standard sessions are prorated. The deadline for withdrawing from a Regular Session course is the 68th calendar day. Deadlines for Summer Sessions and Non-Standard Sessions are prorated.

If a student finds it necessary to withdraw from the university for verifiable nonacademic reasons after the 10th week, he or she should consult the appropriate dean’s office.

When a student withdraws from the university, student privileges, such as use of the Recreation Complex, stop.


Prep Week

The week before the final examination period (known as prep week) is set aside as a period of curtailed social activity. Except for honors, problems, seminar, reports, research, laboratory practical, language, studio and fine arts performance classes, the last examination (either unit or comprehensive) must be given during the final examination period published on the web. No examination (unit or final) may be scheduled seven calendar days prior to the first scheduled day of semester examinations.


Final Examinations

A final examination period during which no regular courses meet is scheduled at the end of the fall and spring semester. Final examinations are given during this period. Final examinations for summer semester courses occur during the last week of each course at the course time and location.

Except for honors, problems, seminars, and language and fine arts performance courses, the last examination (last unit test or comprehensive test) in a course must be given during the examination period specified by the Committee on Academic Policy and Procedures and published in the Course Schedule. Courses may have take-home examinations, projects, papers (excluding semester papers), or other media, in lieu of written final examinations as the last evaluation instrument in the course. In such instances, a deadline for submittal of the medium may not be earlier than the time of the end of the course’s scheduled examination period as published in the Course Schedule.

Guidelines for interpreting the semester final examination schedule.