Jun 28, 2022  
2021-2022 Graduate Catalog 
2021-2022 Graduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]


Assignment of Classes

In addition to consulting with their advisor, students should be familiar with the current undergraduate and graduate catalogs regarding assignments and curricula. The catalogs are the official source of information and are maintained on the university’s academics website. {University Handbook, F8}


{Graduate Handbook, Chapter 1, section D}

Students who have been admitted to the Graduate School must register and pay their fees during the regular registration periods. Changes in enrollment must be approved by an advisor and the Dean of the Graduate School.

All graduate students who have matriculated at Kansas State University and are using faculty time or University facilities for research or other academic pursuits must be enrolled. Enrollment is defined as at least one credit hour and should reflect, as accurately as possible, the demands made on faculty time and the use made of University facilities. Further, a graduate degree candidate must be enrolled during the semester in which the degree requirements are completed.

{University Handbook, F10-F12}

No student is officially enrolled in courses or for private lessons in music or other subjects until a formal course assignment is completed. For more information see enrollment services.

Registration and assignment to classes take place on specific dates as shown on the academic calendar. No student may add a full-semester course after the seventh calendar day of the semester without the permission of the instructor. Students should enroll during the regularly scheduled registration periods in order to avoid late fees. More registration details, including dates for classes that run less than a full semester, can be found on the registrar’s website.

Dropping and Adding Courses; Changing Colleges; Withdrawing from the University

{University Handbook, F64.1 to F64.7}

During the regular session, if a student wants to drop or add a course or if an instructor recommends a change, the student should confer with an advisor.

No student may add a course with 70 or more calendar days (10 or more weeks in length) after the 7th calendar day of classes without the consent of the instructor.

An instructor may drop a student from any or all components (e.g., lecture, recitation, lab, etc.) of a course if the student is absent at the beginning of the first class period of any component of the course. Students who cannot be in attendance should arrange prior permission from the instructor in order to avoid being dropped. For purposes of this procedure, enrollment in and payment of fees for a course do not constitute sufficient notification of intent to take a course.

The last day for dropping courses with 70 or more calendar days (10 or more weeks in length), without a “W” being recorded is at the 36th calendar day of the term. After the 68th calendar day of the term, courses may not be dropped. For courses less than 70 days (10 or more weeks in length), the drop dates are prorated. For more information see the Academic Policy.

A student may transfer from one college to another with permission from the dean or the dean’s representative of the college into which the student proposes to transfer. For more information see the Academic Policy.

Students who decide to withdraw from Kansas State University must begin the official withdrawal process at the dean’s office of their college. Note that dropping all classes requires withdrawing. For more information see Dropping All Classes or Withdrawing from K-State.

If a student withdraws during the first 36 calendar days of a 70 or more calendar day course (approximately 10 or more weeks in length), no mark will be recorded on the student’s transcript. Thereafter, a mark of “W” is recorded; a course less than 70 calendar days (approximately 10 or more weeks in length), is prorated. The deadline for withdrawing is the end of the 68th calendar day of the term; for a course less than 70 calendar days (approximately 10 or more weeks in length), the withdrawal date is prorated.

Retake Policy

{Graduate Handbook, Chapter 2, section E.4 and Chapter 3, section E.4}

If the student received less than 3.0 in a course, the student may retake the course with approval of the major professor and the supervisory committee. If the course is retaken by the direction of the major professor and the supervisory committee, the original grade is noted as retaken and removed from the grade point average. The retake grade will always be used in computing the grade point average regardless of whether it is higher or lower than the original grade. A student may retake a course with subsequent removal of the prior grade only once for each course and for a total of two courses in the program of study. An approved program of study must be on file in the Graduate School at the time the retake request is submitted. Retake requests must be made prior to enrolling in the course.