Jun 15, 2024  
2017-2018 Graduate Catalog 
2017-2018 Graduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]


The university uses the following grades:

  • A, for excellent work
  • B, for good work
  • C, for fair work
  • D, for poor work
  • F, for failure
  • I, for incomplete
  • IH, for incomplete Hold
  • NH, for hold incomplete
  • P, for grades of B, C, or D in courses taken under the A/Pass/F grading option
  • Cr, for credit in courses for which no letter grade is given (non-graded courses)
  • NC, for no credit in courses for which no letter grade is given (non-graded courses)
  • NR, for no grade reported
  • W, for withdrawn
  • XF, violation of Honor Code
  • EA, EB, EC, EP, for test credit grading

Courses in which a Cr or P grade is received may be used in fulfilling graduation requirements. Only the grades A, B, C, D, and F are used in calculating resident grade averages.

Incomplete Grade Policy

The grade of Incomplete (I) is given in regular courses (other than independent studies, research, and problems) upon request of the student for personal emergencies that are verifiable. The faculty member has the responsibility to provide written notification to the student of work required to remove the incomplete. The student has the responsibility to take the initiative in completing the work, and is expected to make up the incomplete during the first term (enrolled) at the university after receiving the grade of I. If the student does not make up the incomplete during the first term enrolled at the university after receiving it, a grade may be given by the faculty member without further consultation with the student. The instructor of record may fill out special access for students who need continued access to complete coursework.

If after the end of the first term the I remains on the record, and permission to extend the I is not received from the instructor by the Office of the Registrar, it will be designated as F for record-keeping purposes and will be computed in the student’s GPA, weighted at 0 points per credit. A grade of NR will be treated in a like manner using the designation F.

Beginning in spring 2012, all Grades of “F” (Fail) and/or “NC” (No Credit) will require a Yes/No statement as to the student’s participation in Academic-related activity. This statement is required due to federal mandate regarding the issuance of federal financial aid. For a definition, refer to the Academic-related activity page.

Effective May 2012, Grade Changes will be submitted directly in KSIS from the Request Grade Change link found on the grade roster. Grade Change Rosters will remain open for five years from the original posting date to submit changes. On-line changes to certain grades such as “W” and “XF” will not be allowed, nor to grades related to a completed program of a graduated student. Any changes not accommodated by the online method must be handled by submitting a Grade Change Memorandum form to the Dean of the College.


Report of Grades

Academic progress reports for new freshmen are available in KSIS to students and deans’ offices approximately six weeks into the spring and fall semesters.

The instructor reports final term grades, based on examinations and course work, to the Office of the Registrar via KSIS grade roster.

In case of absence from the final examination, the instructor reports a mark of I for incomplete or computes the grade on the basis of zero for the final examination. If an Incomplete is reported, a reasonable time, usually not over one month, is allowed in which to take the examination.

Release of Grades

A student’s grades may be accessed only by the student through KSIS or by ordering an academic transcript. Parents of a dependent student may obtain grades by submitting proof of dependency to the Office of the Registrar or with written permission from the student.

Retake Policy

Students may retake courses in order to improve grades. If a course is retaken, the original grade is noted as retaken and removed from the grade point average.

Retakes can be accomplished only by re-enrolling in and completing a K-State resident course. Courses originally taken on a letter grade basis may be retaken on an A/Pass/F basis if appropriate, or if originally taken on an A/Pass/F basis may be retaken on a letter grade basis. The retake grade will always be used in the grade point average computation regardless of whether it is higher or lower than the original grade. The original course and grade remains on the academic record and is not figured into the GPA.

Although there is no limit to the number of times a course may be retaken, a student may retake a course with subsequent removal of the prior grade from calculation of the grade point average only once for each course, and for a total of five courses during the student’s academic career at K-State. Any grades obtained from retaking courses beyond these limitations will be used in calculating the grade point average. A retaken course will count only once toward meeting degree requirements. Courses retaken before fall 1986 will not be used in determining whether five courses have been retaken.

Any course retaken after completion of a bachelor’s degree will not affect the credits or the GPA applied to that degree.


For each term hour of graded work, students earn points, as follows:

Letter Grade Point Value
A 4.0
B 3.0
C 2.0
D 1.0
F 0

Scholastic Deficiencies

The student’s scholastic status does not change as a result of work taken in summer term or intersession.

Students (excluding students in the College of Veterinary Medicine and students admitted to the Graduate School) are placed on academic warning or dismissal according to the following policy.

Credit and Grades

Total units, including Pre-Academic Fresh Start, transfer work accepted, K-State resident graded units attempted and miscellaneous units completed establish the level for academic warning and dismissal calculation. However, transfer units and grades are not computed in K-State grade point averages.

The following definitions are used when determining a student’s scholastic deficiency:

  1. Credit hours used to determine Total Hours Accumulated will include transfer hours accepted, all K-State graded hours, and miscellaneous hours completed.
  2. Grades used in calculating term and cumulative grade point averages will include only K-State graded hours. Grades for courses accepted in transfer from another institution will not be used in the grade point average calculation.

Students Who Earn Less Than a 1.0 GPA in a Given Term

Students who earn less than a 1.0 GPA in any term are considered to have neglected their academic responsibilities. The following policy applies:

  1. Any student (freshman or transfer) who earns less than a 1.0 term GPA in his or her first term at K-State will be dismissed.
  2. Any continuing student enrolled at K-State not dismissed by university academic standards policies but who earns less than a 1.0 term GPA will have registration for the next term withheld subject to review by the academic dean or the dean’s representative(s).

Academic Warning

  1. Students who earn less than a 2.0 K-State term or cumulative GPA will be placed on academic warning.
  2. Students will be automatically taken off academic warning when the cumulative K-State GPA reaches 2.0 in spring or fall end-of-term grade posting.

Academic Dismissal

  1. Students with a K-State cumulative GPA of 1.0 or greater will not be dismissed until they have accumulated at least 20 term credit hours as defined above. (Exception: A student who earns less than a 1.0 term GPA in his or her first term at K-State will be dismissed.)
  2. Students must be on academic warning the term prior to dismissal. (Exception: A student who earns less than a 1.0 term GPA in his or her first term at K-State will be dismissed.)
  3. Students will be academically dismissed if their K-State cumulative GPA is below the following threshold values:
    Total hours accumulated* K-State GPA
    20–29 1.50
    30–45 1.75
    46–60 1.80
    61–75 1.85
    76–90 1.90
    91–105 1.95
    greater than 105 2.00

  4. *Defined above
  5. Students who earn a K-State term GPA of 2.2 or higher on 12 or more graded hours (or the minimum grade point average established by the student’s college, if higher) during the term in question will not be dismissed.
  6. Students who neglect their academic responsibilities may be dismissed at any time on recommendation of the academic dean.
  7. Dismissed students will be readmitted only when approved for reinstatement by the academic standards committee of the college the students are attempting to enter. Normally students must wait at least two terms before being considered for reinstatement and are on academic warning at the time of readmission.

Non-Permissible Changes to the Academic Record after Degree Posting

Grade changes may not be made after a degree has been posted, for courses taken prior to that degree posting. In addition, backdated withdrawals will not be processed after a degree has been posted, for any term prior to that degree posting.



Normally a student must wait at least two terms before being considered for reinstatement.

A dismissed student will be readmitted only when approved for reinstatement by the academic standards committee of the college the student is attempting to enter; the application for reinstatement must be directed to the academic standards committee.

Students who earn a term grade point average of at least 2.0 but less than 2.2 on 12 or more credits during the term they are dismissed can be considered for immediate reinstatement.

Academic Fresh Start and Academic Forgiveness

The Academic Fresh Start GPA Policy and Academic Forgiveness GPA Policy will enable an undergraduate student to neutralize, in part, the grade impact of prior academic performance. Academic Fresh Start and Academic Forgiveness provide for the computation of an alternative GPA and for the use of that GPA in most academic situations. A student may apply only once, and to only one or the other, and the process cannot be reversed. A student may not apply for either policy until he or she has been reinstated into his or her college. Read the policies in their entirety Academic Fresh Start GPA Policy and Academic Forgiveness GPA Policy.




Bachelor’s degree candidates who have completed a minimum of 60 hours at Kansas State University and with at least 50 hours in graded courses in residence are considered for graduation with scholastic honors as follows:

  • Summa cum laude: 3.950 or above K-State cumulative grade point average.
  • Magna cum laude: 3.850–3.949 K-State cumulative grade point average.
  • Cum laude: 3.750–3.849 K-State cumulative grade point average.

Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree candidates are eligible to receive these honors based on courses completed in the professional program.



Students with at least 12 graded hours whose semester grade point average for a given term is 3.75 or above will be awarded semester scholastic honors. Graduate School students are ineligible for these honors.

Credits for Extracurricular Work

Students may earn credit toward graduation by satisfactory participation in certain extracurricular activities. These activities, and the maximum term hours of credit allowed, are as follows:

Subject and course Term Hours Total Hours
K-State Symphony (MUSIC 130, 404) 1 4
Bands-Marching, Pep, etc. (MUSIC 115, 116, 401, 411) 1 4
Concert Choir (MUSIC 111, 400) 1 4
Collegiate Chorale (MUSIC 121, 403) 1 4
K-State Singers (MUSIC 125) 1 4
Concert Jazz Ensemble and Jazz Labs (MUSIC 298, 299) 1 4
Men’s Glee Club (MUSIC 135, MUSIC 408) 1 4
Women’s Glee Club (MUSIC 140, MUSIC 409) 1 4
Instrumental Ensemble (MUSIC 117, 280, 402, 480) 1 4
Vocal Ensembles (MUSIC 280, 480 voice) 1 4
Opera Workshop (MUSIC 475) 1 4
Debate (COMM 210) 2 4
Kansas State Collegian (MC 385-A Newspaper Practicum) 1 4
Royal Purple Yearbook (MC 385-B Yearbook Practicum) 1 4
KSDB-FM (MC 385-C Radio Practicum) 1 4
KSDB-FM Audition (MC 165) 0 0
KSDB Participation (MC 460) 3 4
K-State Agriculturist (AGCOM 410) 1 4
K-State Engineer (DEN 200) 1 2
Men’s Athletics (ATHM) 1 4
Women’s Athletics (ATHW) 1 4

Extracurricular credit is also available with the K-State Dance Workshop (through Dance Production course).

Credits may be counted as electives in a student’s curriculum. A student may use no more than eight term hours in these subjects toward graduation and enroll for not more than two in a term.

A student is regularly assigned to these activities, with permission of the instructor in charge of the work. A student participating in one or more of these activities must be enrolled even though the credits exceed the maximum for graduation.


Classification of Students

An entering high school graduate or transfer student with less than 30 semester hours accumulated credit is classified as a freshman. A student is advanced to a higher classification upon successful completion of sufficient credit hours to meet the requirements as listed below:

Class Hours Completed
Freshman Less than 30
Sophomore 30
Junior 60
Senior 90


Student Records

Student Record Policy

Kansas State University is in compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, as amended; this law established specific guidelines concerning the release of information and the student’s privileges to inspect and review their own educational records.

Kansas State University maintains various student records, to document academic progress as well as to record interactions with university staff and officials. To protect students’ rights to privacy, and to conform with federal law (FERPA), the university has an established Student Records policy. Interpretation of this policy is based on experience with educational records, and the policy itself may subsequently be modified in light of this experience. Notice of this policy and of students’ rights under FERPA is given annually. The policy is available at the Office of the Registrar’s website and is published in the Undergraduate and Graduate catalogs and in the Course Schedule.

Directory Information

Certain information concerning students is considered to be open to the public upon inquiry. This public information is called directory information and includes: name, local address and telephone number, permanent address, e-mail address, date and place of birth photograph or likeness, college, enrollment status (full/part-time), curriculum, classification, dates of attendance at Kansas State University, awards and academic honors, degrees and dates awarded, most recent previous educational institution attended, participation in officially recognized activities and athletic teams, and height and weight of members of athletes.

Directory information as defined above may be released upon inquiry, unless the student has requested that this information not be released. The student’s request to have directory information withheld must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar, 118 Anderson Hall or (K-State Polytechnic Campus, 208 College Center). The Office of the Registrar will notify other appropriate University offices by placing a notation within the student information system. See URL (http://www.k-state.edu/registrar/students/ferpa/non_disclosure/Non_Disclosure_info.html) for the Non-Disclosure Hold of Student Directory Information form.

Confidential Information

With the exception of the information noted above, students’ records are generally considered to be confidential. The following policies govern access to confidential student records:

  1. Each type of student record is the responsibility of a designated University official, and only that person or the Dean, Director, or Vice President to whom the person reports has authority to release the record. The responsible University officials are:
    1. Academic disciplinary records: Chair of Undergraduate Grievance Committee
    2. Academic records: for undergraduates, University Registrar, Anderson Hall; for graduate students, the Graduate School Office, Eisenhower Hall
    3. Actions of academic standards committees: College Dean
    4. Admissions records: for undergraduate students, the Director of Admissions, Anderson Hall; for graduate students, the Graduate School Office, Fairchild Hall
    5. Business records: Division of Financial Services, Anderson Hall
    6. Counseling records: Director of English/Counseling Services
    7. Evaluations for admission to graduate or professional programs: Dean of the Graduate School or the appropriate college or Department Head
    8. Financial aid records: Director of Student Financial Assistance, Fairchild Hall
    9. Honor and Integrity System: Director of the Honor and Integrity System, Fairchild Hall
    10. Housing records: Director of Housing, Pittman Building
    11. International student records: International student advisor, International Student and Scholar Services
    12. Medical records: Director, Student Health Service, Lafene Health Center
    13. Non-academic disciplinary records: Dean of Student Life
    14. Placement records: Director of Career and Employment Services, Holtz Hall
    15. Special academic programs: Faculty member in charge of the program and Dean of the College
    16. Test scores for College Level Examination Program (CLEP), American College Testing Program (ACT), Miller Analogies Test (MAT), etc.; Director of Acadmemic Assistance Center, Holton Hall
    17. Traffic and security records: Head of K-State Police Department, Edwards Hall
  2. Confidential educational records and personally identifiable information from those records will not be released without the written consent of the student involved, except to other University officials, or in connection with student’s application for financial aid; or by submitting proof of dependency; or in response to a judicial order or subpoena; or in a bona fide health or safety emergency; or, upon request, to other schools in which the student seeks or intends to enroll; or to the U.S. Comptroller General, the U.S. Secretary of Education, the U.S. Commissioner of Education, the Director of the National Institute of Education, the Assistant Secretary for Education, state educational authorities, or state and local officials where required by state statute adopted before November 19, 1974.
  3. A University official may release records to University officials who have a legitimate educational interest for the information in order to carry out their responsibilities. University officials are those officials who act in the student’s educational interest within the limitations of their “need to know.” University officials include the following: University faculty, staff, and administrators; agents of the University; students employed by the University or who serve on official University committees; and representatives of agencies under contract with the University.
  4. All student records are reviewed periodically. Information concerning the frequency of review and expurgation of specific records is available in the Office of the Registrar.
  5. With certain exceptions*, students may review records which pertain directly to them upon request and may obtain a copy of the record at cost, according to the following schedule.
    1. Transcript of Academic Record - No charge for currently enrolled students. A $15 charge for a non-enrolled student.
    2. Medical records (Lafene Student Health Center) - no charge to patient for medical purposes. A copy charge is assessed to certain outside parties with patient release.
    3. Other records - at cost.

    *The major exceptions to student review are medical and counseling records. These may be released, however, to other medical or psychological professionals at the written request of the student; and may be inspected by the patient at the discretion of the professional staff. Other exceptions are law enforcement records, private notes of University officials, and financial records of parents.

  6. A student may waive the right to review a specific record by submitting in writing a statement to this effect to the official responsible for that record. Examples are recommendations for career placement or admission to graduate study.
  7. University officials who have access to student educational records in the course of carrying out their University responsibilities shall not be permitted to release the record to persons outside the University, unless authorized in writing by the student or as required by a court order. Only the official responsible for the records has the authority to release them.
  8. All personal educational information about a student released to a third party will be transferred on condition that no one else shall have access to it except with the student’s consent. A record is maintained showing who has had access to student records, and this record is open to inspection by the student.

When Records May Be Withheld

A University official may request that the student’s record not be released in the case the student has a delinquency in an account with the University, including unpaid traffic or parking violations, or if official disciplinary action has been taken. The effect of this action is that transcripts are not released, and enrollment is withheld. In order for the action to be rescinded, the Office of the Registrar must receive authorization from the University official who originally requested the action, indicating that the student has met the obligation.

To contest the withholding of a record, a student must attempt to settle the dispute with the University official who requested that the record be withheld. If this attempt to resolve the dispute is unsuccessful, the matter may be resolved in accordance with the process described in the following section. Further information concerning this policy can be obtained from the Office of the Registrar, 118 Anderson Hall, Manhattan (or K-State Polytechnic Campus, 208 College Center).

Review and Challenge of Records

Upon request to the University official listed above, a record covered by the FERPA will be made available within a reasonable time to the student and in no event later than 45 days after the request. Copies are available at the student’s expense and explanations and interpretations of the records may be requested from the University official in charge.

If the student believes that a particular record or file contains inaccurate or misleading information, the University will afford an opportunity for a hearing to challenge the content of the record. Prior to any formal hearing, the University official in charge of the record is authorized to attempt, through informal meetings and discussions with the student, to settle the dispute.

If this is unsuccessful, then the matter will be referred to the appropriate vice president. If the student is still dissatisfied, then a hearing may be requested. The hearing, conducted by a hearing officer appointed by the President, will be held within two weeks. The student will have the opportunity at the hearing to present any relevant evidence, and a decision will be rendered within two weeks after the hearing. If the result does not satisfy the student, he or she may place a statement in his/her educational record.


A student who believes the university has not complied with the FERPA or regulations may send a written complaint to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act Office, Department of Education, 400 Maryland, SW, Washington, DC 20202.

Revised: 08-31-10



A transcript is an official copy of a student’s permanent academic record. In accordance with the Public Information Act and Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974, as amended, student academic records are classified as confidential and may be released only with the student’s authentication in KSIS or authentication in the K-State transcript portal, or written permission. NO ONE ELSE (including spouse, parent, etc.) can request a student’s transcript, as their authentication permission is required by law.

Transcripts are available at no charge for currently enrolled students and at $15/per transcript for former students. Urgent Processing service provides next business day processing for an additional fee of $10.00 per order.

There is no transcript fee for currently enrolled students. For students who are not currently enrolled, each transcript costs $15, which is to be paid by credit card (Discover, MasterCard, Visa) at the time the order is placed online.

There is no mailing charge if the transcript is sent by regular mail. Priority mailing charge is an additional $8 per envelope (limit 5 transcripts per envelope); Priority International mailing charge is an additional $30 per envelope (limit 5 transcripts per envelope); next day FedEx charge is an additional $25 per envelope for domestic address delivery and $40 per envelope for international address delivery (limit 5 transcripts per envelope).

If a student is delinquent to the university, then transcript services are withheld, until the delinquency is cleared.

Ordering Information

Order transcripts online via the Office of the Registrar’s website.

Hold for Pick-Up

All transcripts are ordered through the Kansas State University online ordering system. If the option for pick-up is selected at the time of ordering, the transcripts will be available for pick-up at the Office of the Registrar (118 Anderson Hall) in Manhattan or K-State Polytechnic Campus, (208 College Center) in Salina. When picking up transcripts, a photo ID must be presented for identification purposes.

No one else besides the student may pick up transcripts without permission. To designate permission for pickup when ordering online, indicate the name of the person picking up the transcript as the Recipient on the pick-up order form.


Academic Probation and Dismissal

Admission to and continuation in the Graduate School depends upon a high level of achievement. Students may be placed on probation as a condition of their admission to graduate programs, if warranted by their prior academic record. In addition, students who fail to make satisfactory progress in their graduate programs will be placed on probation. Either of the following conditions will warrant probation: (a) a grade point average lower than 3.0; (b) the recommendation of the major professor or student’s committee that the student’s progress is unsatisfactory.

Students on probation as a condition of admission will acquire good standing if they achieve a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 in the first 9 credit hours of graduate course work. Students placed on probation for deficient grades will be restored to good standing if they achieve a cumulative GPA of 3.0. Normally, this must be done within two terms for full-time students and within 12 credit hours for part-time students. If the student received less than 3.0 in a course listed on the program of study, the student’s major professor and the student’s supervisory committee may require that the student retake the course. If the course is retaken by the direction of the major professor and the supervisory committee, the original grade is noted as retaken and removed from the grade point average. The retake grade will always be used in computing the grade point average regardless of whether it is higher or lower than the original grade. A student may retake a course with subsequent removal of the prior grade only once for each course and for a total of two courses in a degree program. The Request to Retake a Graduate Course is available in the Graduate School and should be submitted to the Graduate School by the specified deadline.

A graduate student will be denied continued enrollment in the University for any of the following reasons: (a) failure of a student on probation as a condition of admission to achieve a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 in the first 9 hours of graduate level course work; (b) failure of a student placed on probation for deficient grades to achieve a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 within two terms for full-time students and within 12 credit hours for part-time students; (c) failure to meet published departmental or university requirements; (d) failure to maintain satisfactory progress toward a graduate degree; (e) failure in the preliminary examination (doctoral students only) or the final examination; (f) failure to acquire mastery of the methodology and content in a field sufficient to complete a successful thesis or dissertation; (g) qualifying for placement on probation a second time, except when the first period of probation is a condition of admission or when the second period is a condition of reinstatement.

A student denied the privilege of continued enrollment may petition the graduate dean for reinstatement to the same curriculum or for admission to a different curriculum.


Providing False Information

An individual who withholds information or provides false information on graduate admission applications or to any University official, faculty/staff member, or office may have his/her application denied or may be dismissed from the University. The decision for dismissal will be made by the Dean of the Graduate School. This decision will be made after a complete and thorough review of the situation and an individual conference with the student involved. The individual dismissed has the right to appeal the decision. Contact the Graduate School for information on appeal procedures.


Non-Permissible Changes to the Academic Record after Degree Posting

Grade changes may not be made after a degree has been posted, for courses taken prior to that degree posting. In addition, backdated withdrawals will not be processed after a degree has been posted, for any term prior to that degree posting.