Angela Hubler, Interim Head
Professors: Broyles-Gonzalez, Cooper, Dodd, Hedrick, Janette, LeHew, Muturi, Nel, Spears, Thurston, and Wood; Associate Professors: Baird, Bhattacharya, Breen, DePáoli, Dinkel, Falcone, Fritch, Gonzáles, Hubler, Karlin, Knoblauch, Kurtz, Longmuir, Matlock, McCrea, Nelson, Roshanravan, Tatonetti, Tolar, Vallenga, and Wheatley; Assistant Professors: Antonioli, Bardham, Brimhall, Chronister, Fine, Kanost, Leader-Picone, Luly, Mílan, Pakaste, Sarmiento, Shapkina, and Yelich-Biniecki; Instructors: Earles, Franchitti, Gott, and Valenzuela; Visiting Professor: Bender.
003 Leasure Hall
Faculty and students in the Department Gender, Women, and Sexuality Studies analyze gender as it interacts with sex, sexuality, “race”/ethnicity, class, ability, age, and global inequality to structure social institutions and experience. This analysis enables both an understanding of oppression as well as a vision of social equity and justice.
Faculty members foster an interactive classroom learning environment and encourage students to consider their own experiences in relation to course content.
As an academic field, Gender, Women, and Sexuality Studies is interdisciplinary, and courses are offered both in the department of GWSS and in eighteen other programs and departments across the university.
With a degree in Gender, Women, and Sexuality Studies, a graduate is prepared for a variety of careers, including the administration of women’s and LGBTQ programs, health or human services fields, public policy, medicine, business, law, and education. Gender, Women, and Sexuality Studies is also an excellent liberal arts major, providing a strong foundation for graduate study. K-State graduates of the department have gone on to earn masters and doctoral degrees in gender, women, and sexuality studies; public administration; law, social work; International Studies, Peace, and Conflict Resolution; psychology; English; library science; and more.
ProgramsBachelor of Arts/Bachelor of ScienceNon-Degree
CoursesGender, Women, and Sexuality Studies
- GWSS 105 - Introduction to Gender, Women, and Sexuality Studies
- GWSS 300 - Selected Studies of Gender, Women, and Sexuality Studies
- GWSS 305 - Advanced Fundamentals of Gender, Women, and Sexuality Studies
- GWSS 321 - Latina’s Life Stories
- GWSS 325 - Queer Studies: Concepts, History, and Politics
- GWSS 345 - Women & Aging: Looking at Multicultural Female Aging Through a Gendered Lens
- GWSS 350 - Gender in American Film
- GWSS 380 - Women and Global Social Change
- GWSS 405 - Resistance and Movements for Social Change
- GWSS 410 - Feminist Thought
- GWSS 450 - The Stories of a Young Girl
- GWSS 460 - Coming Out and Sexual Identity
- GWSS 480 - Seminar in Gender, Environment and Justice
- GWSS 499 - Honors Project
- GWSS 500 - Topics in Gender, Women, and Sexuality Studies
- GWSS 505 - Independent Study in Gender, Women, and Sexuality Studies
- GWSS 510 - Research Methods in Gender, Women, and Sexuality Studies
- GWSS 550 - Women and Popular Culture
- GWSS 551 - The History and Politics of Family Violence
- GWSS 560 - Women and Violence
- GWSS 580 - Women and Religion
- GWSS 585 - Women and Islam
- GWSS 605 - Social Change: Field-Experience
- GWSS 610 - Capstone Seminar in Gender, Women, and Sexuality Studies
- GWSS 700 - Advanced Topics in Gender, Women, and Sexuality Studies
- GWSS 784 - Internship in Gender, Women, and Sexuality Studies
- GWSS 799 - Independent Study for Graduate Students or Advanced Undergraduate Students